We know every type of vitamin is essential for our body. In this article, I am going to summarise facts of vitamin C that everyone needs to know. Vitamin C is scientifically known as the Ascorbic acid and is water-soluble . Our body cannot synthesise Vitamin C like some animals do therefore we need to obtain it majorly from food.
Sources of Vitamin C
The rich source of Vitamin C are present in Citrus fruits and Vegetables and also can be made in a laboratory. Actually, we get vitamin C daily by what we eat and drink.
These are following listed food items that we can consume for Vitamin C.
- Peppers red,
- green capsicumBroccoli,
- Citrus fruits like oranges, grapes, Lime etc.
Fresh squeezed orange juice or concentrate juice is a good source of vitamin C. Cutting and heating food changes the concentration of Vitamin C so it is to eat the fruits and vegetables in a raw form or lightly cooked form.
Why Vitamin C is essential for our body?
Vitamin C helps our body in the following ways:
- It helps in keeping your skin, bones and connective tissue healthy.
- Helps in the wound healing process.
- There are certain skin creams which contain vitamin C helps to prevent the wrinkled skin.
- Taking vit.C from dietary supplements helps to prevent cartilage loss and helps to prevent the effects of osteoarthritis.
- Taking vit.C to reduce the low-density lipoprotein(Bad Cholesterol)
- Vit C also helps to cure the anaemic patients – by increasing iron absorption in the body.
- Higher intake of Vit c helps to prevent the risk of gout but it is NOT used to treat gout.
- Taking it c before and after a few days of heart surgery helps to prevent irregular heartbeat after heart surgery.
- Vit C also helps to prevent age-related vision loss.
- Vit C + Vit E help to reduce protein in the urine in diabetics.
- Applying a creams containing vitamin C + vitamin E helps to prevent the sunburn effect . vitamin C alone is in effective.
Effects of Vitamin C deficiency:
- Vit C deficiency form s the small acne-like bumps on the arms, thighs or buttocks.
- Hair follicles contain many tiny blood vessels but due to Vit C deficiency, bright red spots from around the follicles.
- Vit C deficiency forms the spoon-shaped fingernails and red spots underneath the nail bed.
- Low Vit C also associated with the dry, sun-damaged skin.
- Vit C weakens blood vessels and makes easy bruising.
- Vit C interferes with tissue formation causing wounds to heal more slowly.
- Vit C deficiency causes severe joint pain
- Vit C is also important for bone formation and deficiency makes waken and brittle bones.
- Also, deficiency makes the tooth loss and gum bleeding.
- Vit C is an important nutrient for the immune system so low level leads to the risk of infection.
- Vit c increase the risk of iron deficiency anaemia leads to increase the bleeding.
- Low vit c also linked to weight gain but some other factors also affect.
- Regular consumption of Vit C decreases the risk of inflammation and oxidative stress.
Side Effects of Vitamin C supplements: –
Vit C is likely safe for most of the people if it is taken in a recommended dose form via any route such as IV, tropical, oral or IM route.
Consuming Vit C in an excess (higher than 2000 mg daily) amount may cause nausea, vomiting, headache ,heartburn or other side effects.This is unsafe and may also cause a lot of side effects including kidney stones, diarrhoea etc.
Precautions during vitamin C supplementation:-
- Vit C is safe for Pregnant and breastfeeding women as long as its taken by mouth in a dose not exceeding 2000 mg daily .
- Taking vit C along with vit E and alpha lipoic acid might worsen the mental function in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Avoid taking supplements containing Vit C or other antioxidant vitamins before and after heart surgery because it may interfere with surgical healing .
- Weight loss surgery can cause the body to absorb more oxalate from food which leads to an increasing amount of oxalate in the urine. Also taking Vit C increases the oxalate in the urine. More Oxalates forms the kidney stones. So it is advisable to avoid taking large amounts of Vit C after weight loss surgery.
- Thalassemia patients should avoid taking Vit C supplements as it increases more iron absorption which might make the condition worse.
- Long term use of Vit C in high doses before a kidney transplant may increase the risk of transplant rejection.
- Taking Vit C along with Vit E in Schizophrenic patients might worsen psychosis in some people when taken with antipsychotic drugs.