Loads of kale, pomegranate, onion, berries, and apple make this salad hearty and loaded with fiber and antioxidants. If you love quick, crisp salads with a balance of sour and sweet, this is the one for you can go for.
CRUNCHY BABY KALE, CITRUS AND NUTS SALAD
Crunchy, flavorful, loaded with superfood and fibers, fresh, and the perfect healthy light lunch or side salad.
Preparation time – 30 minute
Servings – 4
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
1/4 red onion (thinly sliced)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 large bunch kale (1 large bundle yields ~4 cups // chopped)
1 orange/ Tangerines ( segmented // reserve any juice)
1 apple / Green apple (thin wedges)
1/4 cup pomegranate arils / dries cranberries
1/4 Cup avocados
2 Tbsp roasted nuts/seeds(sunflower/pumpkin)
1/2 Cup cooked quinoa
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
pinch sea salt + black pepper
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp orange juice ( to brighten the flavor)
- In a small bowl mix red wine vinegar, water, sugar and stir continuously till sugar dissolves.
- Add sliced onions.
- Let it set in the fridge while we begin to prepare the rest of the salad.
- Liquid should cover the onions, so add water or bit of vinegar.
Now for the salad,
- Take a large mixing bowl to add kale, olive oil, and any reserved orange juice.
- Massage kale to break down the stiffness and bitterness ( Use your fingers to massage kale).
- Add Avacados apple, orange segments, and pomegranate or cranberries, quinoa and set aside.
- In another small mixing bowl take mustard, salt, pepper, sweetener and vinegar.
- Whisk together and add olive oil while whisking.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add a splash of orange juice.
- Add Roasted nuts/seeds.
- Add refrigerated onions to the salad, as well as the dressing, toss and serve.
Orange juice can be substituted with lemon juice but you will need to add more sweetener as lemons are tangier.