Your Skin is a Mirror
Nutrition is important for health. An unhealthy diet can damage your metabolism and bad metabolism leads to bad health and it reflects easily on the skin. As someone has said, “your looks are a mirror to what you eat.”
I want a glowing skin
One fine afternoon I was sitting in my cabin. One girl knocks on the door and sat on the chair. Even before I could ask her anything, she asked me in a passionate way,” Mam can you please give me some good diet plan which can make my skin glowy like Aliya?”
Social Media Soft Skin Effect
She was all stressed out and it was clearly reflecting on her skin. Everyone today invests a lot into their looks- to be acceptable in social media, to feel good, to match up to standards of beauty laid down by society etc. What we call this is the social media soft skin effect ‘and people start to see the actress as are their role models.
Mantras to Good Health
So as a dietitian my job is to tell the importance of good internal health and that can be achieved by lifestyle modification. This means we need to follow a few mantras-
- Eat the right food
- Setting regular times for our meals and never skipping them
- A good amount of sleep
- Any form of structured physical exercise for at least 30 mins 5 times a week
- Last but not least is, live a stress-free life.
In my 10 years of practice, I have come to realize that people tend to forget to follow the last point. It is important for us to calm down aim for good health.
How to get that glowy skin through Nutrition
Need more flavor?
- To enhance the palatability, you can add in a lemon wedge to the water.
- You can also try Infusion water which is the latest trend. It is also called Detox water.
- Fruit flavored water or fruit infused water is also in vogue these days and add on to the hydration levels wonderfully.
Infused water can be a combination of any fruit, vegetable, and herbs immersed in cold water. This keeps your system cool and has a very enhancing effect on skin as you get rehydration along with a good dose of Nutrients and antioxidants throughout the day.
Variety Of Fruits and Green leafy vegetables
- Regular consumption of fruits and vegetables on daily basis not only improves the quality of skin but is also beneficial for all over health.
- You can try few juices on an empty stomach like ABC (apple-beetroot- carrot) which are a good dose of beta-carotene, boron (mineral present in apple) promotes good bone health and fructose which is a source of instant energy source
- Juices consumed on an empty stomach absorb rapidly and you can see results in merely in a weeks time.
- Regular consumption of citrus fruits detoxes body.
- Citrus fruits contain vitamin C, which is one of the best antioxidants, gives luster to the skin to make it flawless.
Red Bell Peppers
- Avocados are high in healthy fats. These fats benefit many functions in your body, including the health of your skin. Getting enough of these fats is essential to keep skin glowing and moisturized. One study in over 700 women found that a high intake of total fat — specifically the types of healthy fats found in Avocados — was associated with more supple, springy skin.
- They contain some other compounds too that may protect your skin from sun damage. UV damage to your skin can cause wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- Avocados are also a good source of vitamin E, which is an important antioxidant that helps protect your skin from oxidative damage.
- Vitamin E seems to be more effective when combined with vitamin C.
Walnuts have many characteristics that make them an excellent food for healthy skin.
They are a good source of essential fatty acids, which are fats that your body cannot make itself. They are richer than most other nuts in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 fats reduce inflammation in your body — including your skin. Walnuts are a good source of essential fats, zinc, vitamin E, vitamin C, selenium and protein — all of which are nutrients your skin needs to stay healthy.
In general, nuts and seeds are good sources of skin-boosting nutrients. Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of nutrients, including vitamin E, which is an important antioxidant for the skin. You can have roasted seeds in the evening as snacks and keep it in your bag to munch on.
Beta-carotene is a nutrient found in plants. It functions as provitamin A, which means it can be converted into vitamin A in your body. Beta-carotene is found in oranges and vegetables such as carrots, spinach, and sweet potatoes. High amounts of beta-carotene may also add a warm, orange color to your skin, contributing to an overall healthier appearance. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene which protects skin from sun damaged also it has an anti-wrinkle effect.