Ashokarishta is the ayurvedic liquid medicine and the power pack of various Ayurvedic ingredients prepared for the healthy female reproductive system. Doctors recommend the tonic for different gynaecological issues.
Key Ingredients of Ashokarishta
Ashokarishta is the fermented liquid tonic used especially for female health problems. Alcohol amount is not more than 10 per cent and not less than 5 per cent which is generated in the preparation over a fermentation period.
Ingredients of the formulation are as follows:
- Saraca asoca (Ashoka)
- Jala for decoction water
- Guda Jaggery
- Prakshepa Dravya
- Dhataki woodfordia fruticose
- Ajaji cuminum cyminum
- Mustaka cyperus rotundus
- Shunthi Zingiber officinale
- Darvi Berberies aristate
- Utpala Nymphea stellate
- Haritaki Terminalia chebula
- Bibhitaka Terminalia belerica
- Amalaki Emblica officinalis
- Amrasthi Mangifera indica
- Jiraka cuminum cyminum
- Adhatoda vasica (Vasica)
- Chandana Santalum (Shweta Chandan)
How to Prepare Ashokarishta?
Firstly the herbs required for tonic need to be cleaned, dried and coarsely powdered.
Next step is to add relevant amount of water to make decoction called as Kashya. Then it is strained and kept in the barrel or pot.
As per the described formula, sugar, jaggery or honey is dissolved, boiled or filtered added.
Finally, the mouth of the pot is covered with an earthen lid and edges sealed with consecutive layers of clay smeared cloth.
The preparation is kept under constant temperature to accelerate the fermentation process.After fermenting, fluid poured out and strained after 3 days.
Now the formulation is ready and kept at a cool place and keep away from moisture and light.
Let’s discuss how this ayurvedic remedy would improve female reproductive health and men too.
For women this could be the good Ayurvedic choice to rejuvenate female reproductive organs and other issues as well which are the following:
- Menorrhagia:means abnormal heavy bleeding or prolonged periods
- Metrorrhagia:This condition indicates the excessive uterine bleeding but it might not due to menstruation but a symptom of other uterine diseases.
- MenoMetrorrahagia: This is the combination of above both condition.
- Dysmenorrhea:means painful periods. The key component Ashoka bark relieves the pain by modulating the level of prostaglandin. The tonic strengthens the uterus thus helps in dislodging the uterine lining during periods. Also lower down the premenstrual effects such as headache, low backache, cramps etc.
- Bleeding disorders
- Chronic fever
- Anorexia-low desire to eat
- Frequent urination
- Digestive problems
- Less calcium in the body means low bone mineral density
- Uterine polyps
- Hormonal imbalance
- High level of testosterone
In men it is prescribed for the following complaints:
- Frequent urination
- Urinary disorders
Dosage of Ashokarishta
Generally, the dose of the tonic is taken 10-20ml twice or thrice a day with a relevant amount of water but if in case of severe health issue, the dose may vary as directed by a physician.
This Ayurvedic tonic is safe in all terms for women’s health. But there might chances of different side effects if not tolerated which are as follows:
Some women may experience burning sensation if the women are suffering from hyperacidity or heartburn. And due to containing alcohol and sugar too.
Not recommended for diabetic patients as having a high amount of jaggery which jeopardise the health.
Not useful to treat blocked fallopian tubes
Tonic may adversely affect the pregnancy as it has effects on women hormonal levels. Also, the tonic may cause overheating,dehydration, dizziness which fallout the health of expecting mothers.
Lactating mothers can consume the tonic in lower dose if go through the heavy blood flow, leucorrhea or any other illnesses. Even not upset the baby’s health as contains a good amount of calcium which promotes bone health. But be cautious long term use might affect the infant,s health.
Nausea and vomiting may also occur due to taking in inappropriate quantity.
May increase heartbeat and narrowing of blood vessels which results in High blood pressure.
Some other common side effects are decreased blood flow, delayed menstruation, missed period which may deteriorate women’s well being.